Theatre Director for Youth Theatre Program in Costa Rica
Far Corners Community Musical Theatre seeks an adventurous, flexible and passionate educator with significant experience teaching music or theatre to co-lead its one-of-a-kind summer musical theatre program in rural Monteverde Costa Rica.
This is a full time seasonal position. The applicant must be available to be on-site in Costa Rica from June 23 - August 11, 2019 (including staff orientation and post-season work).
About the Program:
Costa Rica Theatre Camp is an 6-week summer program for teens and children, now in its tenth year of operation. The primary focus of the program is producing a musical from the canon with a cast and crew of local Costa Rican teens, and a production staff of college-aged interns from both the U.S. and Costa Rica. The goal of the program is to provide a high-quality educational experience for the participants, fostering their artistic and personal development.
Bachelor's degree in education, theatre or related field (Master's degree preferred)
Minimum of two years of full-time teaching experience in formal and/or informal educational settings (5+ years preferred)
Experience leading and/or supervising college students or other adults
Conversational Spanish, or commitment to learn by June 2019 (advanced Spanish ability strongly preferred)
Exceptional flexibility and creative problem solving skills
Experience interacting significantly with individuals from different cultural backgrounds
Strong ability to give and receive constructive criticism
Passion for educating the whole person through music and theatre
Ability to work long days in a fast-paced, intensive environment
High level of self-awareness
Stage and direct musical theatre production.
Assist and support Program Coordinator in overseeing all aspects of the program and ensuring the safety and well-being of teen and child participants, college interns, and volunteers.
Supervise and mentor college interns; regularly observe their work and provide feedback and guidance to implement the program in accordance with the mission of FCCMT.
Engage with members of the Monteverde community.
Collaborate on the oversight of all program purchases within an established budget.
Assist in planning and preparation for summer program; approximately 1-2 hours per week April through early June.
Keep thorough digital records.
The program director will receive round-trip airfare to San Jose, Costa Rica, all work-related transportation within Costa Rica and full Room & Board expenses will be covered.
How To Apply:
Send detailed resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Lisa Burns, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Telecommuting is allowed. Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Far Corners Community Musical Theatre
Far Corners Community Musical Theatre stages musicals in communities where, due to economic limitations or geographic isolation, opportunities for participation in the arts have been limited or nonexistent. FCCMT volunteer staff members act as the producers, directors, musical directors and choreographers. The cast and crew are drawn from the local community as well as international program participants.
Philosophy and Core Values
• Collaboration: We view musical theatre as an art form fundamentally based upon teamwork. We are committed to fostering cooperation amongst participants.
• Dedication, Commitment and Personal Responsibility: We value musical theatre as a pursuit worthy of significant time, effort and focus, and we respect young people’s ability to make that commitment. We strive to cultivate dedication and personal responsibility through sharing an experience in which these values lead to an enjoyable, meaningful creation.
• Diversity and Social Open-mindedness: Our show casts and crews are diverse with respect to many different characteristics, including race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, religious background, educati...onal background and experience in the performing arts. Most shows also reflect diversity of nationality. We actively encourage collaboration and the development of relationships across these characteristics.
• Multilingual Communication: We highly value the ability to communicate multiple languages, and use theater as a vehicle for learning and practicing language skills. Our performances are done in a mixture of at least two languages, and all cast members can (and often must) rehearse and perform in a non-native language as well as in their native language.
• Professionalism and Excellence in Performance: We believe that holding high standards for artistic performance and personal discipline builds self-confidence and self-esteem. We believe that young people respond positively to being challenged.
• Respect: We respect and treat each individual as intellectually and artistically capable regardless of his or her age and background.
• Social Relevance: We believe that musical theatre can and should explore ideas and issues relevant to society today. We select shows with depth and with messages we can support, and shows that challenge the cast and audience to think and question.
Far Corners Community Musical Theatre is committed to providing diverse youth populations from communities around the world with new opportunities, through committed participation in the performing arts, to grow and succeed as collaborators, performers, thinkers, creators, change-makers, multilingual communicators, and open-minded, responsible members of a global community.