|Position Title: ||Assistant Professor - Theatre || |
|Location: ||Big Rapids (Main Campus) || |
|Department: || |
33500 - Humanities
|Advertised Salary: ||$58,500 to $61,200 - salary commensurate with education, experiences and other requirements. Comprehensive benefit package (health care, vacation, etc.) || |
|FLSA: ||Exempt || |
|Temporary/Continuing: ||Continuing || |
|Part-Time/Full-Time: ||Full-Time || |
|Union Group: ||Ferris Faculty Association (MEA-NEA) || |
|Term of Position: ||9 Month || |
|At Will/Just Cause: ||Just Cause || |
|Summary of Position: ||The Humanities Department seeks applications for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Theatre position at Ferris State University to teach two classes per semester and serve as Artistic Director and Director of Theatre Productions in a non-major program. Classes taught range from generalist classes to performance classes. The job of Artistic Director includes selection of productions, auditions and casting for shows, scheduling of rehearsals and performances, as well as working with the Technical Theatre Director to create the visuals and coordinate budgets for theatre productions. |
The anticipated start date of this position is August of 2023. However, this is an estimated date and can be revised if needed.
|Position Type: ||Faculty - Temporary & Continuing || |
|Required Education: ||MFA in Theatre || |
|Required Work Experience: ||Three years teaching college-level theatre. || |
|Required Licenses and Certifications: || || |
|Physical Demands: || |
- Office Environment
- Repetitive Movement
|Additional Education/Experiences to be Considered: ||• MFA with an emphasis in Directing (preferred) |
• MFA in Theatre with an emphasis in Acting
• Experience directing professionally
• Experience teaching Educational or Children’s Theatre classes
• Experience in costume design and makeup
|Essential Duties/Responsibilities: ||• Teach introductory and intermediate courses in theatre performance and other theatre topics |
for Ferris’s non-major program.
• Recruit student actors for theatrical productions and classes.
• Direct and execute at least one theatrical production per semester.
• Make selections of shows with input from the Technical Theatre Professor and Music Director,
• Coordinate productions and schedules with the Williams Auditorium Manager.
• Coordinate contracts for productions, ordering scripts for production and season
• Serve on Department/University Committees and other Service projects.
• Work with the Department Chair concerning Theatre Area budget, workload policy,
assessment, scholarships, and serve on the Humanities Department Planning Committee.
• Participate in recruitment events.
• Any other duties assigned within the position classification area.
• Demonstrates an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, especially in working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and community members.
• Faculty members also have professional responsibilities which may include advising students, orientation and registration of students, participation in University committees, keeping regular posted office hours (which are scheduled at times convenient for students), and participation in traditional functions which have academic significance (ex. reporting initial student participation data and submitting final grades on time). Faculty members may be required to teach off-campus or in an on-line environment.
|Marginal Duties/Responsibilities: ||• Choreographing for productions. |
• Fight direction for productions.
• Publicity and outreach for productions.
• Collaborate with other departments, programs and campus constituents on interdisciplinary
• Collaborate with community organizations in theatre and related groups.
|Skills and Abilities: ||• Demonstrated commitment, experience and understanding for diversity, equity, and inclusion. || |
|Required Documents: || |
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Teaching Philosophy
|Optional Documents: || || |
|Special Instructions to Applicants: ||Unofficial Transcript 1 (REQUIRED): Applicants must attach a copy of unofficial transcript of MFA degree. |
Transcript must include: Institution name, applicant name, date degree attained, degree awarded. Finalist will be required to submit an official transcript.
|Initial Application Review Date: ||March 27th, 2023 || |
|Open Until Position is Filled?: ||Yes || |
|Posting Close Date: || || |
|EEO Statement: ||Ferris State University, an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, is committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within its community. Ferris offers employment opportunities to qualified candidates seeking careers in a student-focused environment that values opportunity, collaboration, diversity and educational excellence. Learn more about the Ferris Mission and community at ferris.edu. The University actively seeks applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups. For more information on the University’s Policy on Non-Discrimination, visit: Ferris Non-Discrimination Statement. || |
| || || |
| || || |